Wednesday, April 20, 2011

desert glue

salt pools and poisonous scorpions, Larry David and cheap beer, oppressive dry heat and skin stuck to skin. The last two days have been a blur of red rock and century old cacti.
Last night's show in Albuquerque was great. They seem to have a fairly small, but tight knit scene, and everyone was really nice, for the most part. One thing I have noticed about desert cities is that their homeless are particularly aggressive. can't say i fucking blame them a single bit.
As soon as we crossed into Texas this morning, I started thinking "ohhhhh fuck, we've entered the bible belt AKA LION'S DEN". We passed the Western Hemisphere's largest cross, and the "Jesus Christ Is Lord" travel center. For the next couple days, I will be out of my comfort zone. this kind of shit scares me more than any urban city.
That said, I realize that I left home with several misconceptions about this area and am learning to keep my prejudices in check. As common as mega-churches and christian gift superstores are out here, it should have been apparent to me from the beginning that not everyone I encounter is going to be a bible thumping psycho.
Entering new time zones every day feels like a kind of gradual jet lag. Thankfully we will be east tomorrow night, after many more hours of driving land us in Cleveland. The venue is a bar/show space called Now That's Class, that happens to serve beer and do all ages shows. Tomorrow, I feel, is the first true day of tour. no more off days, no more fucking thirteen hour drives.

No comments:

Post a Comment